I arrive at the meeting spot, a hotel in downtown Buenos Aires, with two other people from my program excited and ready to go. Our bus was not there. We waited and wondered where it could possibly be: could we have missed it? Are we in the wrong spot? No we are just in Argentina where things come when they come. Our tour guide arrived about 45 minutes later, and everyone excitedly hopped on the bus ready to get out of the city for the day.
Some of the houses on the estancia looked like this with beautiful flowers around them.
There's nothing like the old and modern side by side...
It was absolutely beautiful there. We went to an estancia call La Cinacina. We were greeted with delicious empanadas, and the host gaucho who knew about four different languages. We were excited to speak Spanish and he was excited to speak English...he won. He told us some crazy life story about how he sailed down to antarctica on a tiny little boat from the tip of Argentina.
After we walked around a little bit there was a huge asado. Some people went horse back riding, but not me. I found out the difference between an asado and a parrilla. A parrilla is the grill and an asado is the style or the way that you grill things. Yep those are massive pieces of meat.
They put on a performance after we were done eating all the meat we could eat.
This was part of the show at the end. Gauchos went at full speed to try to get a ring that I couldn't even capture with my camera. Some gauchos decided to do their own thing like this one. He was going pretty fast. At the end they all lined up and we took pictures with them. The day wasn't exactly what I expected, but I definitely enjoyed myself and the fact that I could walk around without my shoes on was great!
No comments:
Post a Comment